Our anime club on the UofM campus is once again facing the hardships of maintaining a proper anime club. I’d just like to clarify to all those newbs and lurkers that we are NOT the Manga Anime Society; we are the Society of Anime & Manga or SA&M. Currently, our website is down because A) Joomla 1.5 is being an ass not doing what we tell it to do and B) we haven’t been able to raise enough money to keep paying for the domain. Anyway, just wanted to clarify that we are in the Carlson Building, NOT the Moos Tower, as there was some confusion last night.
The main reason I wrote this entry was because of a fight that broke out last night. Apparently two members were got into a heated Yu-Gi-Oh duel to settle an arguement about which series of Slayers was the best. However, unlike a typical game of Yu-Gi-Oh, whenever a monster attacked, the opponent slashed the other’s wrist with the card when they dealt direct damage. This escalated into them throwing the cards at each other and hitting several people in the eye. I, myself, was hit with an Ancient Elf and Time Wizard. Both members have been banned from the club.
Not surpising, these two were newbs to the club and didn’t even read our charter which is clearly taped to the door at every meeting. Since our website is down, I’d like to take this opportunity of using my friend’s blog to post the charter for the Society of Anime & Manga in case of any newcomers.
1. We accept members of all race and religions. Japanese strongly preferred though.
2. A minimum of 2 hours of anime will be shown at each meeting.
3. All anime shown must be in Japanese with English Subtitles. English is a last resort and if it is horribly dubbed, it will be removed.
4. No bootlegs or fansubs. Anybody caught with them will be handed over to the proper authorities.
5. No discussion of anime download sites. Again, you will be dealt with through the proper legal channels.
6. No hentai. Keep it clean, folks.
7. No erotic manga shall be brought in either. Ecchi is okay as long as it’s PG-13.
8. No trolling of any kind. This includes slanderous comments, repetition of 4chan memes and making anime suggestion that you know will make people mad.
9. No heckling the screen during serious anime. The only time your laughter is acceptable is during comedy series like Cromartie High School.
10. Keep the room clean. Don’t leave crumbs, spill drinks, throw drinks or puke on the floor. We have to clean it up.
11. Members of the Manga Anime Society are not allowed into our club to avoid redundancy.
12. No consumption of alcohol, drugs or cigarettes during meetings. We had to kick a lot of people out of club for doing this when we screened Paranoia Agent.
13. No fighting PERIOD. This includes fist fights, pistol fights, brass-knuckle fights, slapping, scratching or gambling. And now Yu-Gi-Oh duels as well.
14. No making-out during screenings. It’s gross, you guys. Nobody wants to see that.
15. No adult language. If you have to slur, do it in Japanese.
16. No racial remarks. Whitey and cracker is acceptable.
17. No age descrimination in the membership process. If you are under the age of 18, however, we need a signed note from your parents.
18. Founding members and chairmen have total authority over the club. Anything we say goes, no excuses. This includes suggesting events and show suggestions which, while still voted upon, can be vetoed by us.
19. No bullying of any kind is tolerated. Club members caught bullying, including cyber-bullying, will be banned.
20. Be safe. We are not convered under any insurance so if you hurt yourself trying to re-enact Gurren Laggan it’s your own fault.
21. Membership fees MUST be payed on time. If not, you will not be able to take part in events without paying for them and will have to wait until our next collection date to pay again.
22. Refreshments are a privilage, not a right.
23. We are not reponsible for any lost items during club meetings. If you don’t want your laptop stolen, keep a better eye on it.
24. Once a member has signed in to a meeting, they must stay for the entire meeting or their membership is revoked. We can’t have people leaving just because their favorite show isn’t on next.
25. Be respectful. Keep this a positive and comfortable club for everyone.
I hope this clears up any confusion. Also, we are still going with our pre-1990’s ban so, please, no old anime suggestions. See you next week at club. And please don’t show up early before I do like last time. The marketing workshop class was very disturbed by those of you sitting in on them.
-Keep on Rockin’ That Dragon